Sunday, August 28, 2011

Book Review: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray


Paperback: Beauty Queens
Author: Libba Bray
Pages: 400
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary, Comedy
Rating:  
♥♥♥♥♥

The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner. 

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program--or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan--or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up? 

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again. {Goodreads}

Libba Bray. You. Crack.Me. Up. Simple. J Beauty Queens had it all. Flaming batons, sequin accessories to hormonal pills. Yep. I would actually enjoy if this were made into a movie or heck, even a mini-series on HBO, lol.
Just imagine being stranded on a freaky, Lost-like island without any adults and only your friendly completion in the Miss Teen Beauty Pageant. You better believe that cha0s does ensue. I really appreciate the spotlight each girl revived I this book. We really do get to see the other side of the mirror of these girls who at first glance are shallow and very predictable. 
I want to say that everyone got what they needed out of this book. Acceptance, love, friendship and definitely a sense of worth. It was beautiful. I recommend this book YA and adults alike. I think it’s always a good reminder that we work better as a team than individually when we are trying to survive and that everyone needs friends. Very funny.
♥♥♥♥



4 comments:

Tia said...

I'll be reading this book very soon! It's on my Nook waiting for me! Great review!

Tia @ Falling For Books

LoveOfBooks said...

Haha I know, could you imagine it as a movie or short series?! Funny stuff!!

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

This book came on my radar about a month ago. Every review I've seen for it just makes me want to read it more. :)

sattakingplaybazaar said...

play bazaar mainly helping to wealthy people for making so much good money earn and satta king alos in this bike race make money and London and paris

Post a Comment

Thank you! For commenting. I love, LOVE, comments and I usually respond (as soon as I can)

Please note: Owl Love You Books is an award-free zone. I am very flattered, but comments are all the thanks I need.
Thanks for stopping by and saying HI

-Lacey

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...